Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can you have a look at the following text where I asked the questions and prepared the answers based on a paragraph of BBC's article? AI has checked me. What is about the quality of English?

1. Question: What starts on Tuesday? Answer: This year’s Cannes Film Festival gets under way on Tuesday.
2. Question: What is likely to be as dramatic as the storylines (in the selection of star-studded film premieres)? Answer: The events off screen are likely to be as dramatic as the storylines in the selection of star-studded film premieres.
3. Question: What kind of events are expected to be dramatic? Answer: The events off screen at this year’s Cannes Film Festival are expected to be dramatic.
4. Question: What is being compared to the storylines in the selection of star-studded film premieres? Answer: The drama of the events off screen is being compared to the storylines in the selection of star-studded film premieres.
5. Question: Where are these dramatic events likely to occur? Answer: These dramatic events are likely to occur at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.

Who is this conversation supposed to be between?

That is to say, between me and my friend.

I have made the tone a little bit casual for some initial pairs. Question: What's kicking off on Tuesday?Answer: The Cannes Film Fest is starting on Tuesday.Question: What's gonna be as juicy as the films themselves?Answer: All the off-screen gossip and drama is gonna be just as wild as the movies. Does it work for you?

Last edited:
It sounds like a highly scripted quiz. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

It sounds like a highly scripted quiz. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
The problem is that the original article is a sort of highly scripted text. Isn't it? While AI can revise something the text is not AI-generated as the original is highly scripted itself. The same is true for most articles from entertainment/fashion/celebrities/food/lifestyle, etc. It is unlikely that one will use such expressions in the usual situation unless you would like to sound like an expert or show off. I am struggling to turn such an article into a more friendly and casual style as the basis for a likely short conversation. I have taken two paragraphs and tried to turn them into a more casual text. What do you think about this? "This year's Cannes Film Festival kicks off on Tuesday, and the parties and events off-screen are gonna be just as wild as the movies themselves. Some of the big movies everyone's excited about include Francis Ford Coppola's new film Megalopolis, which he paid for himself, and Sebastian Stan playing a young Donald Trump in The Apprentice. "

What do you think about this? "This year's Cannes Film Festival kicks off on Tuesday, and the parties and events off-screen are gonna be just as wild as the movies themselves. Some of the big movies everyone's excited about include Francis Ford Coppola's new film Megalopolis, which he paid for himself, and Sebastian Stan playing a young Donald Trump in The Apprentice. "
That sounds okay, but not so much for casual conversation. It sounds like what an entertainment reporter might come up with. You still haven't answered my question above. What are you trying to accomplish?

That sounds okay, but not so much for casual conversation. It sounds like what an entertainment reporter might come up with. You still haven't answered my question above. What are you trying to accomplish?
I am trying to read BBC in the following sequence/loop
(a similar scenario is for CNN to have a balance between British and American English). One article falls on each section. Each article should be fully read. Then I pick up to 3 paragraphs from each article and try to use the main theme (words, expression) in real-life conversations. The style could be more formal or casual/friendly tone To learn the text (words, expressions) I try to form up to 5 questions (with answers) based on the chosen text. So the key idea behind these efforts is to improve my English skills for discussing various topics (using high-quality sources of information (CNN/BBC). Frankly, I involve AI but just for additional function rather than a generator of the original texts/conversations.

"This year's Cannes Film Festival kicks off on Tuesday, and the parties and events off-screen are gonna be just as wild as the movies themselves. Some of the big movies everyone's excited about include Francis Ford Coppola's new film Megalopolis, which he paid for himself, and Sebastian Stan playing a young Donald Trump in The Apprentice. "
That's not what I would call casual or informal. Here's what I might say to a friend, if we'd already been discussing films:

Cannes starts [on] Tuesday. I reckon the parties and stuff are gonna be as cool/interesting as the films. Loads of people are talking about Coppola's Metropolis, and [about] Sebastian Stan as a young Donald Trump in The Apprentice.

Then I pick up to 3 paragraphs from each article and try to use the main theme (words, expression) in real-life conversations.
But that may not always produce natural or meaningful results! For one, the register (degree of formality) may not be suitable. Try writing a synopsis of the article instead. You can use various paraphrasing techniques.
the key idea behind these efforts is to improve my English skills for discussing various topics (using high-quality sources of information (CNN/BBC).
I'm not sure if news websites (which is what the BBC and CNN mainly are) are suitable for generating casual conversations.
Frankly, I involve AI but just for additional function rather than as a generator of the original texts/conversations.
I don't like AI. I like human "I". ;)
By the way, you can still use the above BBC article if you really want to make a conversation out of it, but don't restrict yourself to a Q-and-A format. For example, you can begin with:
Jenny: I heard that the Cannes Film Festival will be on soon.
Jimmy: Yeah, that's right. I think it starts next Tuesday.
-----
Note that I have moved your thread to our Editing and Writing section.

What do you think about this?

Friend 1: Hey, did you hear about the Cannes Film Festival this year? It’s starting on Tuesday!”
Friend 2: “Oh really? I bet the parties and events are going to be as crazy as the films!”
Friend 1: “Absolutely! There are some big movies that everyone’s buzzing about. Have you heard about Francis Ford Coppola’s new film, Megalopolis?”
Friend 2: “No way, Coppola’s got a new film? That’s awesome!”
Friend 1: “Yeah, and get this - he paid for it himself! And guess who’s playing a young Donald Trump in The Apprentice? Sebastian Stan!”
Friend 2: “Sebastian Stan as young Trump? Now that’s something I’ve got to see!”

OK, but I would use "would you believe" instead of "get this", but that's just a personal preference.

@svetlana14 A request - when you write dialogues, please give the speakers real names, rather than Friend A and Friend B. Anything will do - John and Paul, or Jane and Sarah, for example. It just makes dialogues easier to read and more natural.

Back